Offering your students four exciting and fun features:
- A Personal Budget Game
- A Stock Game
- Built-in Lessons with Pop Quizzes
- National Challenge with the opportunity to win prizes
5 great reasons to invite your students to the challenge!
- Your students will gain valuable experience by building a monthly budget
- They will learn how to manage their checking and savings accounts, credit cards, and stock portfolios
- Your students will practice what you learn in class before using their real money
- It’s free, and it’s super fun – they can compete with their colleagues and practice your knowledge in an interactive game!
- 50 Teachers will Receive a $100 Staples Gift Card!*
*The 50 teachers that have the most students completing at least 6 months of the budget game will each receive a $100 Staples e-gift Card. That’s another $5000 in prizes for teachers.
Dates: Registration is now open. Challenge runs from October 11th to November 19th.
Prizes: The Top 5 students from each contest, (from the Budget Game and Stock Game) win a $100 Amazon gift card for their classroom. Teachers of the top-performing finalists will be notified the week after the challenge ends. Teachers will decide how the prizes will be spent for their class. PLUS 50 Teachers will Receive a $100 Staples Gift Card, (please see above).
How to join the challenge? Your students will be able to register themselves via a pop-up message on our website.
You can invite students from other classes who are not already using PersonalFinanceLab! These extra students won’t count against your site license. However, automatic reports will not be available in this case.
We will also send a trophy to the top-performing school in the Stock Game!
How does it work? Your students must complete 12 virtual months of our Personal Budgeting Game, and build a diversified portfolio of stocks, ETFs, bonds, and mutual funds to be eligible for prizes.
They can earn a certificate in Personal Finance by completing all the included lessons as well – this certification will look amazing in their curriculum in the future!
Stock Game Rules
- Trading is open from October 11th to November 19th
- Students may trade US stocks and ETFs, and US mutual funds, and bonds
- Students manage a $100,000 virtual portfolio
- Weekly deposits of $1000 will be distributed for students to begin trading on Monday mornings
- There is a $5 minimum price for all stocks
- Students may short sell and buy on margin
- Students may day trade
- Students may only invest 25% of their portfolio in any one security
- Each student is allowed only one entry
All results are subject to an audit to verify accuracy by the PersonalFinanceLab team. The results of the audit are final.
Budget Game Rules
- Students can play the Budget Game from October 11th to November 19th
- The game includes 12 months of gameplay where students manage their bills and expenses
- They start as students with part-time jobs, and after 6 months graduate and take on full-time jobs
- Students earn the most amount of points for meeting their monthly savings goals
Optional Completion Certificate
- It’s not obligatory for students to complete all the lessons to be eligible for prizes.
- For students who want to learn more, the included curriculum comprises 86 individual assignments on investing and personal finance.
- Each lesson includes a pop quiz at the end with 3-5 questions.
- Students are required to get 100% on all quizzes to earn the completion certificate.
- Students are able to retake quizzes to improve their score.
- Example assignments include:
- What is the New York Stock Exchange?
- Investing Strategies
- Pay Down Debt or Save?
- Life Insurance
- Use the Saving to be a Millionaire Calculator